The Association for the Preservation of Memorials of the Dead was born out of Philip D. Vigors fervour to honour the dead by preserving the tomb and headstones that marked where a person or family’s’ remains were interred. Through the enlistment of willing participants in this endeavour the Association compiled an impressive catalogue of volumes, dating from 1888-1934, pertaining to the engravings and epitaphs that so reverently evoked a families’ memories of a loved one(s) who had passed. The engravings were captured in the form of etchings or drawings diligently carried out by the volunteers and members of the Association are reproduced in the Volumes. The Volumes are, as Vigors wrote himself, ‘a record of those who have gone before us’. These volumes are undoubtedly an invaluable resource for those who are carrying out family history research. Volume VI covers the years 1904-1906 and features reports from counties and lists of subscribers. There is also an obituary for Philip D. Vigors, founder of the association, who passed away on the 30th December 1903.
There are no comments yet