Browse our range of products
Historical Reminiscences of Dublin Castle from 849 to 1904
What is inside?Originally published in Dublin in 1904, the Historical Reminisces of Dublin Castle charts the history of the castle and its chief inhabitants from the sacking of Dublin by the Dubhgaill or Black Foreigners in 849 - although a fortified structure pre-dated the arrival of the Danes - until 1904. Beginning life as a fortified structure, or citadel, Dublin Castle underwent the first of its many improvements and enlargements in 1205 when the the Norse rule of Dublin was ended with the beheading of the Governor, Askulf Mac Turekill. At this time Meiller FitzHenri, the Chief Justiciary of Ireland remonstrated with the King to construct a fortification that was capable of holding the Royal Treasure. FitzHenri's application was partially successful and he was given monies to construct a tower cable of protecting the Royal Treasure and defend and as well as curb the City of Dublin. FitzHenri was given explicit instructions to complete just the one tower and the castle, palace and other fineries would have to wait for a time of more leisure; and so began the long process of the construction of what we know today as Dublin Castle. The first portion of the castle was completed in 1213 and its construction is usually ascribed to the then Justiciary, Archbishop Henri de Lourdes. This earliest tower is no longer standing and was overcome by the ravages of time in the 19th century. Not until the final decay of Kilmainham Castle in 1560 was Dublin Castle seen as an appropriate residence of the King's representative in Ireland. In 1565 Sir Henry Sydney is credited with the addition of many sundry buildings to the castle, which were said to have greatly beautified his residence. The Historical Reminisces of Dublin Castle charts the rise decline and rise again of both the castle and its chief inhabitants. It also provides an historical account of some of the more infamous political events in Ireland's history played out against the tableau of the castle. The History is concluded by a chronology of the Chief Governors of Ireland, with some biographical information on the more notorious beginning in 1172 with Hugh de Lacy, Robert Fitzstephen, Maurice Fitzgerald and Robert de Brues. Republished here and accompanied by a number of photographs of the various interiors of the castle, the Historical Reminisces of Dublin Castle should appeal to anyone with an interest in the oldest fortified structure Dublin and the history played out within its walls.
Browse our range of products that can help trace your family ancestry and learn the story of your families history and past.